Paid summer fellowships for Community College Students Jan 19,2022
Below is an updated list of the MANY opportunities open to SMCC science students in Maine and around the country. Most of these offer a paid stipend (typically about $500 per week), and some offer room and board plus travel funding. They are competitive and require serious work on the application. Note that most have January and early February application deadlines! Now is the time to begin planning for the summer.
Many of the first five fellowships listed are directed towards Maine Community College students. You have a good chance of getting one of these if you carry through on the application process. The other research fellowships are open to students from across the country, and many are specifically looking for community college students.
If you need help getting your resume together for the application you should schedule a meeting with the Career and Transfer Services office at least two weeks ahead of the application deadline. You can contact Addie Laroche, Director of Career Services at email@example.com
You also should give faculty members at least two weeks advance notice for any letters of recommendation that you want written on your behalf.
- INBRE Summer Fellowships that include extra funding for room and board
Applications due January 28th 2022
There are two spots for SMCC students at research institutions in Maine (including greater Portland) or VT, NH, RI or DE. These fellowships include room and board plus travel to the research location and supply money for the lab that hosts you. You may also do these fellowships locally in Southern Maine. You can also apply for the more competitive REU funding on the same page.
Apply directly this webpage https://mdibl.org/education/student-fellowships/
- INBRE Summer Fellowship without extra support funds
Application due Feb 10th 2022
In addition to the two INBRE fellowships listed above, there will be two paid fellowships for SMCC students awarded through a separate application process directly from SMCC. These fellowships come with a stipend, but not the room/board/supply funds. Apply via the application below.
- Bigelow Summer Fellowship
Applications open on January 1- Feb 15th 2022 and decisions will be made by March 15.
Bigelow has set aside two positions to be filled by SMCC students. These fellowships come with a stipend as well as room and board at the student dorm in Boothbay Harbor. Apply on the Bigelow Labs webpage https://www.bigelow.org/education/reu/
- Gulf of Maine Research Institute Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Applications due February 15th 2022
Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI )has started a new NSF-funded summer fellowship program for undergraduates including community college students. SMCC students are encouraged to apply and it is very likely that at least one will be chosen. Applications will be accepted between January 1st and February 15th, 2022
5. University of Maine Initiative for One Health and the Environment are excited to announce an NSF-funded Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). Are you interested in studying the link between genetics and marine mammal health, the risk of diseases (known as zoonoses) that can transfer from animals to humans, or how policy and climate change are impacting tick-borne diseases and their effects on iconic Maine species like moose? If so, you should consider applying to our program!
For more information and to apply (by February 15th) : https://nsfa.umaine.edu/one-health/REU.
There are additional programs offering summer research opportunities for students at research institutions across the nation. These are competitive positions open to college students from across the country. SMCC students have been chosen several times in the past, so it is worth your time to apply.
1. STEM internships around the USA through Pathways to Science
This webpage has a number of fellowship opportunities around the US across multiple STEM fields. Many of the programs have a preference for Community College students. Search fully funded Summer Research programs, below, by institution and disciplinary categories, or by geography!
2. Maine Medical Center Research Institute in Scarborough, applications due February 22nd 2022
Research at MMCRI covers a broad area in biomedical science including vascular biology, stem cell biology, developmental biology, neurobiology, hematology, nephrology, tumor biology, and molecular genetics as well as outcomes research, vector-borne diseases, and clinical research.
3. Jackson Labs in Bar Harbor ME and Farmington CT, applications due February 2nd 2022